It is a beautiful Saturday morning on Schiewe's Urban Homestead. The air is cool and crisp and the sky is that beautiful blue, speckled with clouds. Spring continues its march towards suburbia - little bit by little bit. And with the advancing of the season, the perennial conundrum returns - to hit the slopes for amazing spring skiing or to get a jump start on the garden chores. It swings like a pendulum.
Spring skiing in Colorado is awesome. It wakes up the soul. The air looses its bite and so the skier can shed some bulk. The bright blue sky contrasting against the soft white snow lends itself to a recipe for laughter. The weight of the world tends to disappear, if only for the day. And, I'm not for certain, but I think the beer tastes better at the top!
Garden chores have a way of awakening the soul as well. The smell and feel of the cold soil and the sight of the raked yard encourage my daydreams and put me at the table of summer meals, fresh from the garden. Wine in hand, today's daydream transports me to the front porch, where I am watching the sun set behind the peek-a-boo view of the front range, the weight of the world lessening for the day. Fueled by the right daydream, a lot can get accomplished in the garden.
Today, as I sit on the patio, sipping my coffee and writing this blog, the kids are reacquainting themselves with the 'not-so-secret' secret fort that they constructed last summer behind the shed. They are diligently adding the cleared out leaves to the compost bin. They are pulling out all the weeds that managed to maintain their grip throughout the winter. They are collecting the worms from under the rocks. Their shoes are caked in mud. They are happy. To watch them makes me smile. Their energy and excitement for rediscovering their 'yard' is contagious. In fact, I'm off to get my work boots on! I will be the first to admit that this is a fine substitute for spring skiing. Today, the garden wins.
To ski or not to ski? This conundrum will play out several different ways from now until close of ski season. Stay tuned.......
No comments:
Post a Comment